Do You Have What It Takes?
Shuswap Launch-a-Preneur Program
May 16, 2017
A very exciting Final Night for Season 4 of Shuswap Launch-a-Preneur was held on the evening of May 4th in Salmon Arm. The event consisted of 10 teams pitching their business ideas to a panel of judges and a sold out crowd of 285 at the Salmar Classic Theatre. Program partners, including Enactus, Okanagan College, Community Futures Shuswap and Salmon Arm Economic Development Society, indicated the evening was a tremendous success with some serious competition among this inspiring group of entrepreneurs.
The 10 competing teams included:
- Chaga Borea, Sandra Proulx
- Elderberry Grove, Sarah Lecouffe & Jedidiah Wiebe
- Harder Concrete, Brayden Harder
- Kate’s Smoothies, Kate & Jason Spielman
- Meikle Studios, Jenna & Adam Meikle
- On Point Concrete Forming Ltd., Chris Cousens
- Rocking Wheels, Sarah Froud & Toni Froud
- Shuswap Event, Roxy Roth & Spencer Keating
- WineBox Sweets Co., Teena & Jason Gudjonson
- Wise Woman Seeds, Sarah Bradshaw & Misty Berkholtz
In typical Shuswap fashion the community came together to support these aspiring entrepreneurs. This season, the program received over $36,000 in prize packages from 52 local sponsors. The event Master of Ceremonies, the Launch organizers video clips, and participating teams kept the crowd entertained with their high-level presentations and wit.
“The most amazing part of the Shuswap Launch-a-Preneur program is how our community comes together to support these teams. The support extends well beyond the program and the prize packages and sees our community following their progress for years to come. The whole Shuswap gets behind these entrepreneurs and creates a supportive environment to foster their start-up.”Lana Fitt, Economic Development Manager.
Although the program partners felt all contenders were winners and worthy of high regard, the judging panel, consisting of Andrew Klingel from Okanagan College, Marilyn Strong from The Strong Communication Group Inc., Dr. Kyleen Myrah, Okanagan College and Richard Toperczer from the Economic Development for Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, selected the following award recipients:
- First Place Prize Package Value $15,029.30: WineBox Sweets Co., Teena Gudjonson
- Second Place Prize Package Value $11,287.50: Shuswap Event, Roxy Roth & Spencer Keating
- Third Place Prize Package Value $3,057: On Point Concrete Forming Ltd., Chris Cousens
- Fourth Place Prize Package Value $1,022: Elderberry Grove, Sarah Lecouffe Axtell & Jedidiah Wiebe
- Green Award Prize Package Value $1,228: On Point Concrete Forming Ltd., Chris Cousens
- Public Choice Prize Package Value $1,022: WineBox Sweets Co., Teena & Jason Gudjonson
Program partners wish to extend a thank you to the community for the on-going support this program receives and, in particular, our event Master of Ceremonies, volunteer judges, mentors, and sponsors.
Event Master of Ceremonies Mr. James Grieve said it best… “It takes a village to raise a child and a community to Launch-a-Preneur!”
To find out more about this innovative community program and our sponsors visit launch-a-preneur.ca
Press Release Contact:Salmon Arm Economic Development Society250-833-0608