Thanks to all of our Participants, Sponsors, Mentors
and to the Public that attended the Final Night Event.
Season 3 of Launch-a-Preneur
was a huge success!
(Check back regularly to find out more about
how you can take part in Season 4!)
Shuswap Launch-a-preneur Program
May 1, 2015
A very exciting Final Night for Season 3 of Shuswap Launch-a-preneur was held on the evening of April 30th in Salmon Arm. The event consisted of 12 teams pitching their business ideas to a panel of judges and a sold out crowd of 280 at the Salmar Classic Theatre. Program partners, including Enactus, Okanagan College, Community Futures Shuswap and Salmon Arm Economic Development Society, indicate the evening was a tremendous success with some serious competition among this inspiring group of
The 12 competing teams included:
- Apollo Auto Centre, Shawn Greek
- aWEARness Bracelet, Madeleine Eames
- Be Teased, Sharon Toews & Michael Gregorig
- Canada Safety Consultants, Gary Whitlock
- Cardio Connection, Melissa Treleaven
- Fire on Wheels, Jodie Pruden
- J-Boys Services, Dave Johnston
- Medicine Match Genetic Testing Ltd., King Campbell
- Mystic Mermaid Adventurez, Lisa Hope & Aimie Laws
- Sovereign Stumbling Family Campground, Robert & Michelle Black
- Sprokkets Bakery, Mark Lane & Robin Johnson
- Tacos Los Machos, David Huerta
In typical Shuswap fashion the community came together to support these aspiring entrepreneurs. This season in particular, the program received the highest amount of donated prizes, the largest number of volunteer business mentors, and the largest amount of teams participating. The event MC and teams kept the crowd entertained with their high level presentations and wit.
“The most amazing part of the Shuswap Launch-a-preneur program is how our community comes together to support these te ams. The support extends well beyond the program and the prize packages and sees our community following their progress for years to come. The whole Shuswap gets behind these entrepreneurs and creates a supportive environment to foster their start-up.”
Lana Fitt, Economic Development Manager
Although the program partners felt all contenders were winners and worthy of high regard, the judging panel, consisting of Andrew Klingel from Okanagan College, Calvin Hoy a private wealth manager and Myles Bruns from the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, selected the following award recipients:
- First Place Prize Package Value $15,400.00: Apollo Auto Centre, Shawn Greek
- Second Place Prize Package Value $11,400: Fire on Wheels, Jodie Pruden
- Third Place Prize Package Value $2,500: Be Teased, Sharon Toews & Michael Gregorig
- Fourth Place Prize Package Value $1,000: Sprokkets Bakery, Mark Lane & Robin Johnson
- Green Awards Prize Package Value $800: Apollo Auto Centre, Shawn Greek
- Public Choice Prize Package Value $850: Tacos Los Machos, David Huerta
Program partners wish to extend a thank you to the community for the on-going support this program receives and, in particular, our event MC, volunteer judges, mentors, and sponsors.
Event MC Mr. James Grieve said it best… “It takes a village to raise a child and a community to Launch-apreneur!”
Press Release Contact:
Salmon Arm Economic Development Society
Shuswap Launch-a-preneur is an entrepreneurial competition designed by Enactus, Community Futures Shuswap, and the Salmon Arm Economic Development Society. The purpose of the program is to assist individuals and teams to successfully plan for the establishment of their business, while at the same time competing for prize packages in true “Dragon’s Den” fashion!
The annual Shuswap Launch-a-Preneur program is a process that includes a series of workshops, supplemented with resources and one-on-one business mentorship to assist entrepreneurs to validate their business model and prepare a detailed business plan. During our inaugural event, 23 teams participated.
The final competition night sees teams competing for thousands of dollars in prizes and in-kind donations designed to assist with business start-ups in the Shuswap. At that event teams present a short pitch to a panel of judges consisting of angel investors and successful entrepreneurs from the Shuswap/Okanagan region. Successful teams are invited to move on to the final round which includes a more detailed presentation as well as questions from the judging panel and audience members. Prizes are awarded for the following:
- Green Initiative
- Public Choice, and
- First, Second, and Third Place Awards.
Prizes are provided by local business sponsors and include: seed capital, business consulting hours, website development packages, accounting and legal fees, and marketing packages!
For further information please contact:
Business Support Coordinator
Salmon Arm Economic Development Society